It is no secret that the United States of America is a crucial market for Atlantic Canada’s seafood exporters. Last year, the U.S. imported more than $2.78 billion in seafood products from Atlantic Canada, an increase of $594 million over the previous year. That is why a delegation of 27 Atlantic Canadian companies and organizations will once again be participating in this year’s Seafood Expo North America (SENA) – the largest seafood expo on the continent – which will be held March 6th to 8th in Boston, Massachusetts.
A federal-provincial investment of more than $134,000, which is being provided through the International Business Development Agreement (IBDA), will enable the participating companies to create a significant and coordinated onsite presence through the Atlantic pavilion, as well as provide them with access to business meeting rooms and advertising.
· While at SENA, Atlantic Canadian companies will showcase the region’s wide variety of seafood products to over 20,000 buyers representing importers, exporters, wholesalers, restaurants, supermarkets, hotels, and retail and foodservice companies from more than 100 countries.
· In 2015, Atlantic Canada’s worldwide fish and seafood exports were valued at $4.4 billion.
· Atlantic Canada exports its seafood products to over 100 countries around the world. The United States of America is Atlantic Canada’s largest export market representing roughly 63% of seafood trade.
“Atlantic Canada is recognized internationally for its wide variety of high-quality seafood products. Nearly 50,000 jobs are supported by Atlantic Canada’s seafood sector – an economic foundation for many rural and coastal communities across the region. The Government of Canada is committed to working closely with all levels of government, including our provincial partners, to promote Atlantic Canadian seafood with a goal to increasing exports that help create and sustain thousands of jobs and foster economic growth across the region.”
– The Honourable Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Sciences and Economic Development, and Minister responsible for the Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency (ACOA)
“Being part of the Boston seafood show for more than 20 years is one of the initiatives that has helped Prince Edward Island reach $268 million in international seafood exports – which is nearly double our total from five years ago. We are proud to join with the other Atlantic provinces in exploring every opportunity to grow our seafood industry.”
– The Honourable Alan McIsaac, Minister of Agriculture and Fisheries, Prince Edward Island
Companies participating in the Atlantic Canada Pavillion at Seafood Expo North America 2016
Prince Edward Island
· Confederation Cove Mussel Co.
· Daisy Bay Oysters
· Medallion Trading PEI Inc.
· P.E.I Mussel King Inc.
· Prince Edward Aqua Farms Inc.
· Royal Star Foods Ltd.