Liberals Release Comprehensive, Socially Progressive, Fully-Costed Plan
Winsloe, April 1 – A comprehensive plan to build a progressive and more prosperous Prince Edward Island was released by the Liberal Party today.
“The Liberal plan is clear, comprehensive, solid and realistic,” says Premier Wade MacLauchlan.
“The measures we have proposed – in job creation, health care, education and tax relief – will all build on the Island’s growing sense of optimism and confidence.”
In brief, the Liberal plan is proposing to:
- Create 3,500 full-time jobs in the next three years
- Reduce property taxes by 10 per cent and provide a tax rebate for affordable rentals – and reward home ownership while easing the cost of renting
- Through the new Patients First Health Care Plan, we will ensure faster access to health care services
- Provide a $500 Island Education bond for every eligible Island child under the age of 16 – to cut the costs of post-secondary education
- Introduce a PEI Workers Benefit that will provide support to 12,600 working Islanders
- Increase the George Coles Bursary to $2,700 per year – and improve access to post-secondary education at the University of Prince Edward Island, Holland College and College de l’Ile.
- Add 150 new frontline staff to the education system – so that young Islanders can succeed throughout their lives
“Together, we have achieved a great deal on the Island. I believe that the Liberal plan will maintain our path toward a more prosperous future – that allows us to build the progressive social supports we all value.”