Premier Wade MacLauchlan today announced the Liberal Party’s plan to provide greater opportunities for young Islanders.
“A new Liberal Government will work with young Islanders to help them make a successful transition to the workforce and launch new careers here on P.E.I,” said the Premier.
Young Islanders attending post-secondary institutions and those who have recently graduated face unique challenges in today’s highly competitive economy. A Liberal Government will invest in programs tailored to 21st Century Learning and a 21st Century Workforce.
The Premier announced that a Liberal Government will engage young Islanders and seek their input. A Liberal Government will place strategic emphasis on youth with the establishment of a new department of workforce and advanced learning, recognizing the link between lifelong learning and career growth.
The Liberal Party is committed to helping young Islanders find good jobs here on P.E.I. A Liberal Government will:
- Enhance and grow the PEI Graduate Mentorship Program, providing financial assistance to private sector companies that hire new graduates. To date 80 per cent of graduates participating in this program have successfully obtained full-time employment in their field of study;
- Launch our most aggressive business prospecting strategy ever – “Sales Force PEI”. This integrated effort to increase sales of Island products and services outside our province will assist young entrepreneurs and start-ups grow their companies. Sales Force PEI will also reach out to Islanders living out of the province to mentor young Islanders who are starting or growing a business.
- Expand our successful “Ignition Program” which provides $25,000 in start-up funding to young Island entrepreneurs;
- Launch a population strategy with an initiative to help bring young Islanders back home;
- Work with our post-secondary institutions to provide new low cost spaces to launch new business ideas; and
- Extend the Labour Rebate Program to support companies in knowledge intensive sectors that are expanding and hiring young Islanders.
A Liberal Government will continue to make post-secondary education more accessible through improved access to student loans and the continued support of the George Coles Bursary and Island Student Awards. In addition, to help PEI students keep more money in their pockets, a Liberal Government will introduce personal tax changes so that new graduates pay less income tax.
Media Contact: Grant Palmer • 902.393.7975 • firstname.lastname@example.org