The Liberal Party of PEI has released its detailed and fully costed election platform that prioritizes increasing access to health care, addressing the housing shortage and building a more prosperous and inclusive province for all Islanders.
“Our Healthcare First platform is a bold action plan that reflects our commitment to building a brighter future for PEI,” said Liberal Leader Sharon Cameron. “We are proud to present our vision to move PEI forward based on our core values of health, home and opportunity.”
Healthcare First sets out a comprehensive action plan for addressing the current healthcare crisis in PEI, where access to health services has been hampered by the current PC government’s inability to lead as the system collapsed all around it. The Liberals are setting improved healthcare access as their top priority for Islanders through a $198 million commitment to new initiatives over the next three years.
The fully costed platform also includes proposals to:
- Address PEI’s housing shortage through $150 million in low-interest financing to increase affordable housing supply and assist first-time home buyers with financial incentives to make homeownership less challenging;
- Strengthen our economy with initiatives to increase the workforce, more opportunities for skills training, and enhanced access to capital.
- Reduce poverty through modernizing social assistance rules, increased financial support, and enhanced shelter services for Islanders who are homeless.
- Make our Island a more diverse and inclusive place to work and live through the establishment of a Diversity and Inclusion Commissioner; and
- Expand investments in the public school system, early childhood education, and childcare in support of Island children and their families.
“Increased federal funding has put PEI in a strong fiscal position. We are confident that our platform measures can be introduced responsibly over a three-year period in a manner that does not require large operating deficits or additions to PEI’s net debt.”
“Our action plan offers a clear and detailed vision for the future of PEI,” said Cameron. “We have already received enthusiastic support for the announcements we’ve made so far on healthcare, and we look forward to focusing on other aspects of our plan to support education and child care, grow the economy through sector-specific initiatives and continue to be strong stewards of the environment.”
Full platform can be viewed here: https://liberalpei.ca/platform/