On November 16th, our Liberal government released the largest Capital Budget in our Province’s history. Record capital investments in Health Care, Housing, Education and Transportation Infrastructure will benefit Islanders for decades to comes.
Investing in Health Care
Our Liberal Government will continue to build on record investments in healthcare, ensuring Islanders have access to the care they need in communities across PEI.
- $100 million over the next five years to build – province-wide- an advanced and modern series of facilities that meet the needs of Islanders struggling with the effects of mental health and addictions; and
- $7.2 million to replace Picture Archiving and Communication System
Investing in Housing
We are focused on investing in what matters most – ensuring all Islanders have access to safe, accessible, appropriate, and affordable housing. As such, our government is investing $16.8 million (over two years) in the construction of affordable housing units.
In addition, with assistance from the Federal Social Infrastructure Fund, 32 new seniors units will be constructed in the Summerside area and 20 new transitional units for victims of family violence will be constructed in Charlottetown.
Investing in Education
Millions will be invested in classroom technology and capital improvements to ensure Island students continue to lead the country in reading, math and science.
- Construction of a new elementary school in Sherwood at $19.1M;
- Construction of a secondary school in Stratford at $38M;
- New classrooms in West Royalty (at $4.7M) and completing additions at Stratford Elementary ($5M) and Lucy Maud Montgomery Elementary ($5.6M);
- Improving technology in Island classrooms (over $2M); and
- $2.1 million for the purchase of 20 new school buses.
Investing in Safer Highways and Climate Action
As Liberals, we are committed to supporting the growth, prosperity and resiliency of rural communities. Our Government will invest in roads, highways, and bridges, while at the same time working to reduce climate change.
- $56 million to improve Island highways and roads across PEI; and
- $730,000 for the installation of electric vehicle charging stations.
“These significant new investments have been made possible through the hard work of Islanders and the fiscal responsibility of our government. We are listening and ensuring that we spend wisely in the areas that mean the most to Islanders”, said Minster of Finance, Hon. Heath MacDonald.